Home / To find out more / Human activities and culture

Human activities and culture

Agro-pastoral activities

For centuries the inhabitants of mountain villages in Champdepraz and Champorcher have lived on a subsistence economy based on agriculture and livestock.

Mines and quarries

From the 17th to the mid-20th century, iron and copper mines were intermittently worked in Champorcher and especially in the Champdepraz valley. The highest is the magnetite mine at Lac Gelé (2600m altitude), in production in the 17th and 18th centuries; the extracted ore was transported to the Serva furnace (1550m, trail 5b) along a paved sliding track which can still partially be used today (trail 6). The ruin of a second furnace is present along trail 4 at Pont de Perrot. In Champdepraz at Barma de Rova there is also an ancient quarry of millstones (1900m, trail 6b).

Rural architecture

The rural buildings of Champdepraz and Champorcher, built with materials found on the spot (stone and wood), are similar to those found in other municipalities of the lower Valle d’Aosta; in Boden and Gettaz des Allemands, the only known Walser settlements on the right bank of the Dora Baltea river, the building typologies of transalpine origin have almost completely disappeared.

Castello di Verrès

Questo castello è uno dei più imponenti monumenti dell'età feudale presenti in Valle d'Aosta.
E' un cubo di circa 30 metri di lato,coronato da fitti beccatelli che sostengono la merlatura successivamente coperta dal tetto.
Un'iscrizione scolpita in caratteri gotici sopra una porta che dallo scalone introduce a un locale del primo piano attesta che Ibleto di Challant pose mano ai lavori nel 1390.

Santuario del Miserin

Il Santuario di Notre Dame de la Neige
Sulle sponde del Lago Misérin, a una quota di 2.580 metri, si trova il famoso santuario dedicato alla Madonna della Neve.

Castello di Issogne

Già proprietà dei vescovi di Aosta, poi restaurato verso il 1400 da Ibleto di Challant, il castello di Issogne ha assunto l'aspetto che ancora oggi propone ai visitatori tra il 1490 circa e il 1510 al tempo di Giorgio di Challant, protonotario apostolico e priore di S. Orso, che lo restaurò e lo trasformò in una sontuosa dimora per sua cugina Margherita de La Chambre e suo figlio Filiberto.

Forte di Bard e borgo medioevale

Il Forte di Bard, rimasto pressoché intatto dal momento della sua costruzione, rappresenta uno dei migliori esempi di fortezza di sbarramento di primo Ottocento. Il borgo di Bard è un tipico villaggio di attraversamento nato lungo la strada romana. Esso si presenta oggi nel suo assetto urbano medievale e conserva pregevoli edifici residenziali del XV-XVI secolo.